Saturday, July 31, 2010

Catching Up on a Few Things

Not even two weeks in and my lazy ass has gone almost a week without posting an update (save bock review Vinnie e-mailed me that I spent a minute posting).

Responding to Vinnie's post on bocks, my amateur theory on bocks is that brewers/breweries that specialize in German-style beers produce the best of this style.  Metro Brewing and Capitol specialize in German styles and as such produce top-notch bocks in Metro's Generator Dopplebock and Capitol's Autumnal Fire and Blonde Doppelbock among others.  However, this is a style very perilous to having a boozy flavor if not supremely brewed and some of my favorites breweries (Great Lakes with Weizenbock, Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Bock) fell victim to this.

I Like My Dark Beers At Night
I quite enjoyed Deschutes's Hop in the Dark Cascadian Dark Ale.  Hop in the Dark has a strong rye taste with a subtle hop balance and is very drinkable for a dark beer.  Even though I missed out on Black Butte Porter, my Minnesota Deschutes haul with Hop in the Dark and Mirror Pond Pale Ale turned out to be very fruitful and well worth effort of bringing them home.

Random Google searching (a favorite pastime of mine) led me to this awesome food/bar review blog, Smokin' Chokin' and Chowing with the King.  It is more a food based blog but I'd suggest to the readers of MBB to check it out (especially if you have a soft spot for fried foods like I do).

Finally, I plan on taking my maiden voyage to the monthly BA event at Goose Island this Thursday.  I'll try to get a post up about it shortly afterward and look checking it out (and hope people enjoy some of the Surly I brought back from Minnesota voyage).

No comments:

Post a Comment