Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bulleted Weekend Recap Rundown Thingy

A busy weekend of many beers and no time to blog means a bunch of cut-rate Monday night reviews. More thorough reviews may follow in subsequent posts.
  • Lakefront Oktoberfest. I brought a sixer of bottles to a birthday party Friday night and went through three, I think. This was the first Lakefront beer I've had in a really long time, and it was somewhere between mediocre and average. It's caramel sweet, malty, and toasty--not unlike a roasted marshmallow--with an apple note.
  • Founders Centennial IPA. I drank this one straight from the bottle, which I feel negates whatever I have to say about a beer. That said, my general impression was positive but underwhelming. There was nothing to really set it apart from dozens of other IPAs, and at 7.2% ABV, I wouldn't have expected it to taste as boozy as it did.
  • Three Floyds Gorch Fock. This was from the tap at Brixie's. On the surface, it's a pretty typical light lager, but the flavor was dense and accented with a bit of honey sweetness that I didn't expect. For such a light beer (4.5% AVB), I was able to enjoy this much more slowly than I expected--a big plus, being the good D.D. that I am. If you have a chance, try some while it's still hot out.
  • Stone Levitation Ale. I'd had Levitation once before, but I had no idea it was an amber until Zuch told me, at which point I still didn't believe him. This is by far the hoppiest amber I've ever tried. Word to the unindoctrinated: Stone loves the hops. It's also one of the slowest drinking sub-5% AVB beers I can think of, mainly because the hops are so intense. Despite my pathological aversion to waste, I had to leave some of this behind because my semi-starved 3am stomach couldn't quite handle it.
  • Goose Island Green Line Pale. I tried this again on tap, this time at the actual Goose Island pub across from Wrigley Field, so it was almost certainly fresh. It still tasted like corn. I still didn't like it. Fuck it. It's out.

No comments:

Post a Comment